Get Started building Ruby on Rails Web Apps
We believe these resources are a great way to get started:
- Rails for Zombies is a fun introduction.
- Practice your Ruby by completing the Ruby Koans.
- Get feedback from real people by completing excercises on Exercism.
- Check out the official Rails Guides. You will probably come back here often.
- Gotealeaf runs an online bootcamp.
Try using these development tools:
- For editing files, Sublime editor
- iTerm for your console or terminal
- Try Git for version control so you can host your code at Github
Incorporate existing libraries and services:
- Find libraries, tools, frameworks at The Ruby Toolbox or Awesome Ruby.
- You could send emails using Mandrill, and SMS using Twilio.
- Bootstrap makes styling your project quick and easy.
And do it the way we make real software:
- It could use a RESTful JSON API.
- It's a great idea to TDD the whole thing.
- If there is more than one of you, learn to work off PRs.
- Learn to set up CI / CD.
Get in touch with us when you've achieved the above and
- It's hosted on Amazon Web Services, Digital Ocean, or Heroku
- The code is open sourced, and you can share your Github link with us.